Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Research Blog 2

1.) Based on the information that I have found, I am leaning toward the side that part-time jobs do not directly influence the success a student may achieve in college. Although there are varying variables, having a part-time job alone won't make you do any work in school. Although this wasn't in the last blog, my original plan was to write about Student Athletes. However, this topic is much more relatable to me and my personal life and I think is suites me better.

2.) The best terms were "part-time jobs" and "college students" and "academic success" all together. Sometimes just searching "part-time jobs" and "college students" can give you more generic articles, but adding "academic success" narrows it down much further.

3.) A couple scholar articles I found actually directly address my topic. One article "The effects of doing part-time jobs on college student academic performance in a chinese society," talks about students attending a university in China and if their part-time job affects their academic performance.

4.) The biggest idea seems to be that students academic success in college can or cannot be affect by also working part-time in addition to their academic activities.

5.) The best resources I found were via Rutgers Library. However, additional articles that i used came from readings in class: "Students are Already workers" by Marc Bousquet.  (https://content.sakai.rutgers.edu/access/content/group/6486762d-c69b-457e-b195-c499c9aec8d1/Course%20Readings/bousquet-student-workers.pdf)

6.) There are apparently two sides of the debate: either part-time jobs affect student academic success or it doesn't. However, there seems to be more data that suggest that jobs don't affect a students success rate than any data that suggests that there does.

No comments:

Post a Comment